Laundry seems to be always a typical concern while traveling in Vietnam or anywhere you go that has a tropical weather. ‘How many items should I bring?’, ‘How can I clean my dirty clothes?’, ‘How can my clothes smell good during the trip?’ are some of the common considerations among travelers and maybe even yourself. So, let’s just take a quick look at this article and you may find your answers.
1. Packing essential items for your travel
During the trip, you may have to carry the baggage, then move back and forth between places. If you pack too many items and don’t wear all of them, it will waste your effort and luggage space. Meanwhile, bringing enough clothes will lighten your baggage for easier transport and flexibility. And with the hot weather in Vietnam, you really don’t need to pack many unnecessary clothes. This helps you avoid carrying heavy dirty laundry during your trip.
You can prepare 4 sets and an extra one just in case of need when you go for a 4-day trip. If you go for a longer term, you also don’t need to pack the whole wardrobe with you. Just mix and match your items or even reuse it after a quick wash.
2. Wrinke resistance
In Vietnam, hostels and low-price hotels usually don’t offer laundry service. Hence, doing laundry while traveling in Vietnam may take you a dozen of times. Thus, you should choose wrinkle-free clothes or clothes that are not easily be creasy, such as denim, khaki, silk or polyester.
- Denim or jeans are ultimate travel fabric, as it is fashionable, easy to stretch and hard to get dirty.
- Khaki items are bearable, wrinkle-free and highly hygroscopic.
- Silk and polyester clothes are thin, light and easy to pack which are highly suitable for traveling in a tropical weather as in Vietnam.
Tip: If your jeans are getting smelly, you can try putting it in a plastic bag and then placing in the fridge overnight.
Eventually, if your clothes are wrinkled, you can try hanging it in the bathroom while getting hot shower. Hot steam from the shower may help stretching and straightening the fabric. With this tip, you don’t have to deal with difficulties in doing laundry while traveling in Vietnam.
3. Underwear hacks for traveling
Underwear is totally an essential item when you are out of home, but do you have to bring 14 panties for your 2-week vacation? The answer is no, because you can easily wash it by yourself using the sink in the hotel bathroom. However, if you don’t intend to look for laundry service while traveling in Vietnam, here are some tips for your underwear:
- Wearing an antimicrobial fabric underwear to lessen the bacteria growing on the fabric surface.
- Wearing a disposable underwear. Make sure the underwear is fit and comfortable to you, and then you don’t have to worry about washing your panties over again.
- Using everyday sanitary napkins and change it when you need.
4. Hand-wash laundry while traveling
If you plan on hand-washing your clothes, you can bring your own laundry kit containing some mini packages of laundry detergent, stain remover or even shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo and conditioner can be used to do laundry while traveling in Vietnam, like washing and softening your clothes.
Here is the recommended procedure to hand-wash your clothes:
- Fill up the sink with water, and rinse your clothes for a few minutes
- Add laundry detergent or your shampoo and then hand-wash the clothes
- Soak for few more minutes
- Drain and rinse until the clothes are clean
- Squeeze out the excess water and roll each item in the towel
- Hang-dry it near window or fan and air-conditioner
Tip: If you don’t have enough hangers, try to use your dental floss as a hanging rope.
5. Pick-up and delivery laundry service
Pick-up and delivery laundry service is a great way to have your clothes washed without spending your time and effort. You can just simply contact, and there will be someone come and pick up your clothes immediately. Once they are done, they will deliver it back to you. Accordingly, you don’t need to hand-wash the clothes or to spend time at self-laundry service.